Friday, December 5, 2008

First trip home to Kansas:)

I can't believe it has been this long since I've posted the blog. But, as you can see by the title to this one, we have been traveling...and then Thanksgiving came and you know how the holidays go. So, since it has been so long since I have posted, I have too many pictures for just one entry so I am going to break these up into two different blogs...starting with Brooks at 9 weeks old.




This was the week before we left for Wichita (week of 11/10). Deciding what to pack when traveling with a newborn baby proved to be a hurdle in itself. Below, you will see the fashion show of hats that Brooks got to have while mommy was trying to decide what all to take. And, no, we didn't take them all...well, most of them. And, yes, he only wore one. It is safe to say that I overpacked...but you never know what you are going to need!























When I look back on these pictures below, it amazes me how much Brooks has changed since when I took these. It has been three weeks and he has definitely grown since then. But, I couldn't resist posting these because they are pretty cute:)
































Looking back, ten days of being away from daddy was REALLY hard. I knew Brooks was changing every day, and it killed me that Adam wasn't there to see it. And, of course...mommy missed him too. Here are some pics of daddy/Brooks time before we left.
























I guess Adam believes in starting them out early...these pics are of Adam trying to teach Brooks to box. I informed him in no uncertain terms that there will be no boxing!




And, speaking of starting him off early, here is Adam spending more time introducing Brooks to music and playing records for him. Just saying the word "record" gives you an idea of how old they are. And, if you take a look at the records he was playing, Sly and the Family Stone and Simon and Garfukel, you will see what I mean. But, I can't complain about this cause these are classics, and anyways Brooks was grinning from ear to ear. Whatever works!



And, the song that has been introduced to our son more times that I can count would be the MIZZOU fight song....as you can see of this pic with Adam holding Brooks up to the snow globe that plays the fight song. I won't be suprised at all if Brooks' first word is Mizzou:)



I had to put these next pics in to redeem myself from a few blogs back. You all saw what I did to the meatloaf a few weeks ago? Well, the night before we left for Kansas, I succeeded in my meatloaf making. Adam even went back for seconds! I guess practice makes perfect...well, no quite perfect, but atleast it was edible:)





And, we're off! I can't tell you how nervous I was the day Brooks and I flew to Kansas. Since I had never flown with a newborn before, I had no idea what to expect. But, all of my prayers were answered when Brooks slept through the whole thing (except for waking up to eat during take off and landing to help with his ears). Other than that, he slept through everything...the car ride to the airport, checking in, security, waiting at the gate, the entire duration of the flight...I was astonished! But, he sure opened his eyes when we landed and walked off the plane to meet Grammy and GG (Brooks' Great Grandma...AKA Foxy Grandma). GG had never met our little guy so this was a very special moment:)






The next night, Grammy and Shrampa had a bunch of our family and friends over to meet Brooks for the first time...Grammy Great, GG, Great Aunt Cindy and Uncle Steve, Great Aunt Ev and cousin Chloe', cousins Ryan and Jenni and their children Corbin and Kate, cousins Rob and Mae and their girls Tara and Alyssha, and Larry and BJ King. Thank you to everyone for coming...we've been so anxious to see you and introduce you to our son. It was such a fun night!



















The next morning we had a big suprise. One of my best friends from PA school, Kara Joice, stopped through Wichita to meet Brooks. We hadn't seen eachother in a long time and I was SO happy that she came. We didn't have a lot of time because Brooks and I had to get to a shower, but it was still so good to see her. I don't know how I would have made it through PA school without her. And, it kills me that from the moment we graduated we have lived in different states. But, Kara is one of those friends that is a "forever friend" and even when we don't get to talk or see eachother as much as we would like, I know she is always there. I miss you girl...and can't wait to see you again. Thank you so much for coming to meet my son:)









The shower we went to was for Jana Owen, another one of my best friends who I have grown up with. It's crazy...we spent almost twenty-nine years of our lives going on dates together because we hadn't found that perfect person yet. Then, we were both married last year two weeks apart. And, now, we are having babies four months apart. I was so happy to be able to come home and be a part of her shower. As you can see, she looks adorable pregnant and, again, it was so amazing to see her holding my son. I can't wait to hold her baby (boy or girl..they haven't found out but I think it's a girl:) I miss her so much as well, but Jana is another one of those friends that you know will always be there until we are little old ladies looking back on our lives and laughing at all that we've been through.














Another special time for us in Wichita was taking Brooks to Northside (our church) for the first time. There were so many people there that have literally carried me in prayer at times throughout my life, and it was so special to introduce them to our newest miracle.



















If you can't tell from the sign that we put on the front door below, we were extremely excited for Great Grandma Jody and Great Grandpa Eddie to come in from California, MO. It was so amazing that they drove all the way to Wichita to see Brooks. You can kind of see in the pictures below how much Brooks took to Grandpa. It was incredible! All Grandpa would have to do is pick him up and he would become calm. I told him he better be careful or I was going to stick him in my suitcase and take him back to Michigan:) We had more of the family over that night and it was so neat to watch Brooks surrounded by four Great Grandparents. As you can tell, our son is dearly loved...and we are blessed beyond measure for this time. Thank you so much for coming Grandma and Grandpa...we miss you more every day!





















































The day before we left to fly home, GG had us over with Grammy, Grammy Great, and Great Aunt Cindy. Aunt Cindy was so thoughtful, she made sugar cookies in the shape of rattles and little babies. She even put hair on the heads of the babies to look like Brooks:) And, yes, they tasted just as good as they look. It was so fun to have four generations sitting around the table and spending time together. Brooks slept through the entire thing, but these are memories that I will never forget!



























So, you can see why I had to split these pictures up into two blogs. Shortly, I will post the next one with mom and I flying back to Michigan with Brooks and Shrampa flying out a few days later for Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time with them in town...stay tuned

1 comment:

Kari said...

What great pics! It was so great to see you and I can't wait to see you guys again soon, over Christmas!